Friday 17 September 2010

OPEN SHOW 2010

I visited the Leeds Art Gallery this morning...

I had been invited by my colleague Sue Davies who is Head of Learning and Audience Development at Leeds Museums and Galleries. I have been trying for the last nine years to get children's work exhibited at the Art Gallery and Sue has this year persuaded colleagues to include children's work in the Open Show 2010. It is simply wonderful to see the impressive collection of children's art in the middle of the Open Show and some of it is brilliant. Who knows there may be another David Hockney, Tracey Emin, Damien Hirst or Pablo Picasso displayed there. There are certainly pieces that if the were included amongst the adult works no-one would have a clue that they were produced by children!

This is a real landmark and I hope will encourage the Art Gallery to be more imaginative and creative. We must continue to use the Art Gallery to display and celebrate the best of Leeds. My next suggestion would be why don't we every Summer display the best of our GCSE and A-Level work in the Art Gallery. It is world class and would attract an audience of parents and carers and those who are passionate about nurturing the artists of the future.

I understand that this requires leadership and commitment and I am grateful to Sue and everyone involved for their faith and trust which has achieved something outstanding at the Art Gallery this year. If you haven't seen it, pop in, you'll be amazed!
Chris

No comments: