Wednesday 13 May 2009

My colleague Steve Ruse, our Sustainable Schools Consultant, sent me this e-mail...

"Hi Chris, I have been meaning to send through to you the following since I attended a wonderful launch event at Hunslet Moor PS on 30th April. Along with all the guests on the day I was presented with a sunflower seed by pupils. In the pot alongside the seed was a laminated bookmark on which the following appeared; Taking Small Steps to greater Things - "We should live our lives on this planet by following the secret to making perfect footprints in sand...... tread lightly, taking every step with care, leave your imprint without any lasting damage". This year as a school community we want to become better at reducing, reusing and recycling. We would like our children to take a real interest and become more proactive in caring for their local and global environments. Simple but wonderful. Regards, Steve."


It's great to see schools taking up the environment and global citizenship agendas so powerfully supported by Steve and other colleagues who share our passion for a greener, safer and more sustainable world. I know the quote from my days working on environmental education: 'take only memories, leave only footprints' or 'take only photographs, leave only footprints'.

Chris

No comments: