Friday 1 May 2009

My colleague Geoff Roberts Chair of Governors at the West SILC and Vice-Chair of Governors at the NW SILC sent me this after reading the message in Headteachers' Update...

"Hi Chris, hope you are well… I was reading your message in the Headteachers’ Update and came across this line: "What my Easter break and my reading has taught me is that the challenges we face require us all to carefully evaluate everything we do and ask whether it is making a real difference." I find this a constant challenge as a governor. It is very easy to get sucked into too much detail of finances, staffing levels, dealing with exclusion/disciplinary reviews etc and to run the risk of forgetting that what we are there for is to make a difference for the pupils. So perhaps we need to ask a question at the end of every meeting we have (and I include phone calls and corridor conversations…) "How have we improved the chances for our pupils in this meeting?" I am going to include it as the final item on all my agendas from now onwards. Best Wishes, Geoff."

It is reassuring to hear from Geoff that people do read the Headteachers' Update and that they do something as a result to maintain our relentless and uncompromising focus on improving outcomes for our children and young people.

Chris

No comments: